
I figured that it would be more work than I wanted to make my own stock so I went to Home Depot to see if they had anything that might work. I found some basic crown molding that had the general profile I was looking for and glued a piece of 1"x4" to the back of it, leaving about 1/4" overhang so that a piece of glass could sit in it. The piece above is pretty close to what I used. Once the pieces where bonded together I got my Father in Law's help to cut them to size on his table saw. Here is a pretty good youtube link for how to cut a perfect frame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AWVjW-Da3A&feature=related
The next step was to glue the corners and clamp them together. This was pretty tricky because of the frame size. I tried everything from pipe clamps to staples to get it to stick together without any luck. There are special "frame clamps" that are designed for this but they are expensive which would defeat the purpose of me making the thing myself. Anyway, I found a niffty trick on youtube to clamp it together that worked great! Basically I laid it out on a sheet of plywood and used wedges to clamp it down. Here is the link if it doesn't make sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2trWWHH9dg
Here it is clamped down.
Here I'm hammering in some corrugated nails to strengthen the corners. This was a pain in the rear because the piece I hammered them into was a hard wood. I cut up my fingers a bit with the stupid things but they made the joints a lot stronger.
After it was clamped together I used some easysand filler to fill in the imperfections and to smooth things out in general.
Here is a finished corner. The picture is a little blurry but you get the idea. Next I primed and painted it with some black spray paint. I tried a flat paint at first but the finish looked like charcoal. Next I tried a glossy spray which looked almost as bad because it was so shiny. I sanded the glossy finish down to ruff it up so that I could try a different paint on it but liked how it looked and decided to go with a "distressed" finish. The finish still wasn't what I wanted but I thought to use some wax on it to give it the right sheen. I learned this from working with stained wood. I ended up just using some black shoe polish that I rubbed in and then buffed. The finish turned out much better than I expected.
Not to shabby!!

Way to go!! I have made a frame or two, and know how tricky they are. Yours looks MUCH better! I'm going to have to watch those youtubes next time I go to make one.
ReplyDeletewow! That is A-MAZ-ING! That picture will be even more special because of all the hard work that you put into it.
ReplyDeleteWow! I am impressed. The picture is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWOW!!! That is very impressive. It looks amazing.
ReplyDeleteBravo! Very nice. I only fault you on one thing......you are now FOREVER going to be stuck making picture frames......you have revealed a gift and now you have to share it!
ReplyDeleteP.S. How much in total did you spend on materials and how much time did you spend? Just curious.
I finally figured out how to post a comment. Your picture looks great!
ReplyDeleteYou two are awesome, hope you are feeling good still.
Dad
Jason, I am impressed! The black is beautiful! JUst a tip, I was made at our black paint that we bought also for our entertainment center and found out AFTER we painted that I should've bought flat paint. Beautiful job!
ReplyDelete